Design Phase: May 2017-January 2019
Community Engagement: November/December 2018
Select Preconstruction/Lease Lease Back Builder – December 2018/January 2019
Bond Issuance: April – May 2019
Construction: Spring/Summer 2020-Fall 2021
Work In Progress:
CA Environmental Quality Act (CEQA)
Proposed Project Description:
Solana Vista, a Solana Beach School District elementary school, was originally constructed in the 1970s and is being considered for modernization/reconstruction as identified in the Long Range Facilities Master Plan. The enrollment is approximately 400 students, grades K-3. The school site acreage is approximately ten (10) net usable acres. The District plans to commence construction of this facility in Spring 2020 with the desire to open the school Fall 2021/2022.
The school facility will have classrooms available to house approximately 400-450 students and will include spaces for special education, library/media center, art room, music room, computer room, resource specialist area, science lab, stage/multipurpose room, office complex, teacher preparation and tutoring/pull out rooms, storage, after-school care facility, hard court play areas, bus access, parking lot(s) with parking capacity of no less then 2.25 parking spaces per teaching station, vehicle service drive, serving kitchen, refuse pickup, and other aspects of a comprehensive elementary school. The campus will contain electronic and communication capacity consistent with other District elementary schools. The buildings on the site may be compressed and may contain two-story classroom facilities with interior circulation. Interim housing will be required during the construction period.
Every effort will be made to construct an environmentally friendly school with sustainability in mind.
Photo above: Aerial View of Solana Vista
School Design Process
Solana Beach School Distict prides itself in its collaborative approach to design educational facilities to provide equiptable, resource rich learning environments for students. With these statements, the Solana Beach School District affirms our commitment to create and maintain:
- A student-centered, equitable environment that fosters learning, achievement, and inspires creativity for all children
- A strong focus of the diverse academic, social-emotional needs and learning styles of all children
- A safe environment with opportunities for enhanced student health, including appropriate areas for a variety of physical activities and increased availability of nutritionally sound, freshly prepared, school meals
- Facilities that are safe for children, staff, and visitors during school hours, while welcoming to families & community members beyond the school day
- Well-designed practices and facilities that shape, encourage, and foster environmental stewardship, responsibility, and sustainability
- Emphasis on building awareness of, and responsibility for, global citizenship
- Adaptable learning facilities built on research-based best practice that are flexible and able to support future learning needs and demands for college and career readiness in an ever-changing global community
- Environment, culture, and facilities that are mutually supportive and meet the needs of that diverse constituency of school and community
The design team is made up of stakeholders, including but not limited to, staff (certificated and classified), administrators, City of Solana Beach representatives, special education, specialty programs (STREAM, CRT, etc.), school board members, community members, consultants. The team work together to establish priorities in design function to meet current educational standards.
Activities to date:
Additional Meetings in 2018-19
Solana Vista Staff Meeting - August 2018
Solana Vista Design Team Meeting - September 2018
School Board Presentation - October 2018
Presentation - The attached is a document presented to the Board of Education at the regularly scheduled board meeting on October 11, 2018. The presentation includes three new site layouts for board review and direction. The board directed further development of Concept 1 - the single story site layout.
Solana Vista School Reconstruction FAQs (Coming Soon)
Updates (Coming Soon)
Conceptual Designs - continue to be developed