Measure JJ was passed by voters under the rules of Proposition 39 in November 2016, which directs that the Board of Trustees appoint an Independent Citizens' Oversight Committee (ICOC) to monitor bond expenditures. This Committee is responsible for providing oversight of the District’s use of Measure JJ bond proceeds and reporting their findings to the Board and the public. Specifically, the ICOC will ensure that all funds are used in support of the projects included in the bond measure and not for unspecified projects, general operating expenses, or teacher salaries. The ICOC will also inspect facilities and grounds, review cost-saving measures, and review the annual independent audits that are required of general obligation bond funds.15282. (a) The citizens' oversight committee shall consist of at least seven members to serve for a term of two years without compensation and for no more than two consecutive terms. While consisting of a minimum of at least seven members, the citizens' oversight committee shall be comprised, as follows:
(1) One member shall be active in a business organization representing the business community located within the District.
(2) One member shall be active in a senior citizens' organization.
(3) One member shall be active in a bona fide taxpayers' organization.
(4) One member shall be the parent or guardian of a child enrolled in the District.
(5) One member shall be both a parent or guardian of a child enrolled in the District and active in a parent-teacher organization, such as PTA/PTO or school site council.
(6) Two members, selected from the public at large.(b) No employee or official of the district shall be appointed to the citizens' oversight committee. No vendor, contractor, or consultant of the district shall be appointed to the citizens' oversight committee. Members of the citizens' oversight committee shall, pursuant to Sections 35233 and 72533, abide by the prohibitions contained in Article 4 (commencing with Section 1090) and Article 4.7 (commencing with Section 1125) of Division 4 of Title 1 of the Government Code.