Mrs. Fregoso's Newsletter
scroll down to the end of the newsletter to see attached flyers
February 14, 2018
Happy Valentine’s Day! Last month, at Solana Pacific we kicked off the “Public Victory” Habits with Think Win- Win. For the month of February, we will be focusing on Habit # 5 –Seek First to Understand, Then to be Understood. Students will learn that this habit emphasizes:
- By taking the time to listen to another person, you reach a higher level of communication.
- It is better to listen first and talk second whenever possible or appropriate.
- Listening skills must be practiced and don’t always “come naturally”.
- It is important to take genuine interest in others.
- Effective communication skills are essential for success in the 21st
Ways to apply at home:
- Demonstrate how saying the same phrase in a different tone of voice can give the phrase a completely different meaning.
- Body Language can be more important than words. Play a game with your kids where you each guess the other’s emotion (happy, sad, frustrated, bored, etc.).
- As a parent, take the time to ask you child to let you know if he or she ever feels like you aren’t listening. If and when it happens, thank him or her, listen and share back and forth until your child feels understood.
- Demonstrate the difference between “pretend listening” and “active listening”.
Words to use:
- “Help me understand your point of view.”
- “Tell me more about how you feel.”
- “Can you help me see this from your perspective?“
- “What is your opinion?”
- “What do you think about . . . ?”
Our students at Solana Pacific are being proactive, helping others, setting goals, and are learning how to get along well with others. Thank you for supporting our efforts to teach our students skills beyond academics. Skills that are essential for success and will help them become effective students and leaders in our community!
Enjoy the Presidents’ Week break next week and we look forward to seeing our students again on Monday, February 26th!
PS SAVE THE DATE! Cyber Safety and Social Media Awareness is a HUGE deal for our children. The more parents know what is out there and are aware of how to support their child in being a responsible digital citizen the better! We will be hosting TWO showings of “Screenagers” in our theater on Thursday, March 15th during conference week. This educational documentary is for parent(s) AND their child(ren) grades 4 and above (however, younger children may not attend). We will show the film at 2:00 p.m. and 6:00 p.m. that day. Please, make arrangements to attend one of the times. More information will be coming soon! Click this link for more information about the documentary: https://www.screenagersmovie.com
FROM THE CHILD NUTRITION PROGRAM
As we plan additional improvements to our Child Nutrition program, we would like to get SBSD parent input on our lunch program. Please take a few minutes to provide us with your feedback. The survey will remain open through Thursday, February 28. Click here to take the parent survey.
CDCJacket and blanket DrivePlease donate gently used or new jackets and blankets.For more information call 858 794-4577
WHAT IS A RECOGNITION AD?
Recognition ads are available in quarter-page size and can be personalized with your own photos and text.
TO GET STARTED, GO TO www.pictavocommunity.comPLEASE NOTE: You can only purchase recognition ads at www.pictavocommunity.com.
If you need to order a yearbook, please visit the Solana Pacific webstie under quick links.Questions? Email email@example.com
Save the date
for the most popular event of the year at Solana Pacific!
The Amazing Quest will be held on Monday, April 30th from 5-8pm
at Solana Pacific. Click here to register your team for the Amazing Quest.
All registrations, waivers and payments are dueFriday, March 30thGet your teams of 4-6 friends (must include at least one Solana Pacific
student and one adult to race and one adult volunteer) organized now!
Solana Beach School District Parent Workshop Love and LogicParenting the Love and Logic Way: A six-session parenting program designed by the Love and Logic Institute.Scroll down to see flyer attached for more information. Click here for the Pupil Services website to register.
PTO - FOUNDATION NEWS
___1. Solana Pacific PTO needs you! We are looking for some fresh new faces to head up our PTO & Committees!
Please strongly consider volunteering for a committee or event for our next school year 2018-2019 to make it your students best year yet!
Open positions: Treasurer, Vice PTO President, Field Day Chair, Heritage Night,
Mini Open House, Passive Income/Ralph's Club, Spirit Wear, Red Ribbon,
Restaurant Nights, Staff Appreciation, and Student Directory.
Contact Monica Speciale at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
___2. ATTENTION 6TH GRADE PARENTS: Yearbook Recognition Ads will be available for purchase February 1. Ads must be designed and completed by Monday March 19. Cost $25. Only limited number of recognition ads are available for purchase. See flyer at the end of the newsletter for more information.
___3. AMAZING QUEST - Monday April 30th @ 5:15pm – 8:00pm
For the first time ever….Amazing Quest will be put on as a FUNd-raiser! Sign Ups are open now through March 30th. Click here to register for the Amazing Quest https://www.sbsd.k12.ca.us/Page/6576
___4. FREE $$$ FOR OUR SCHOOL: Every time you shop at Ralphs you can earn money for SOLANA PACIFIC with NO extra costs for you!!! Check out the flyer attached for details…..