We believe that...
- Learning is developmental
- Learning should be collaborative
- Assessment should be authentic
- Learning should be child-centered
- Students should be able to work independently and cooperatively
- We are all (teachers, students and parents) responsible for working together to build a true sense of community
- There should be cross-age learning in multi-age environments
- Students work best in a non-graded and ungraded environment
- Learning should involve hands-on, project-based, integrated and thematic learning
- Students are most successful when there is parent involvement
- Teachers should use a variety of resources
- Students should receive instruction within their zone of proximal development (regardless of grade level)
- Students should take an in-depth look at issues & problems and study how these issues cut across national boundaries and concern all people as citizens of a global community
- Students should examine historical perspectives and how they relate to current world situations.
- Perspective-taking (being able to see things through the eyes an minds of others) should be emphasized.
“Our highest endeavor must be to develop free human beings, who are able out of their own initiative to impart purpose and direction to their lives.”