Week of September 1, 2019
Hello Skyline Families,
Welcome Back to School Skyline Otters! We had a great first week of school and the students and staff are now settling into their routines and structures. I was able to compliment our students for their respectful behavior at the lunch tables on the first day of school. They were AMAZING! I look forward to learning more about each of our students and the programs here at Skyline in the weeks ahead. The staff and I look forward to working together with you in order to bring out the best in each of our students academically, socially and emotionally. We want you to be informed and so I ask you to take a moment to sign up for our weekly communication at the following link https://www.sbsd.k12.ca.us/Page/1125. This is an OPT-IN option provided by the district so please make sure to sign up.
As I have mentioned previously, the safety of our students, staff, and families is of the utmost importance to me. We have made several changes to our pick up and drop off procedures and we greatly appreciate everyone’s support as we implement these expectations. Please review the morning and afternoon procedures at the following link: https://www.sbsd.k12.ca.us/Page/452. After the first week, I believe a few salient points need to be addressed so we can ensure a safe and efficient pick up and drop off:
- Please be kind to our staff. They are outside before and after school in order to keep our students safe. They are trying to ensure a safe and efficient process.
- If you walk to pick up your child, please wait by the flagpole. Waiting under the main office overhang blocks our students from exiting and blocks our little ones from transitioning to the pick up line from the Global gate.
- Students can only exit from the right side of the vehicle at the curb. Exiting from the left puts them right in the way of oncoming traffic in the drive thru lane. This may mean you need to adjust the position of any carseats in your vehicle.
- Please ALWAYS wait to drop off or pick up until you have pulled ALL THE WAY FORWARD. This may mean you have to wait for 10-15 seconds for the traffic to clear out. Waiting is important because the domino effect is great each time a car hinders the forward movement of the line.
- I am strongly encouraging ALL car traffic to use the Lomas Santa Fe entrance to school rather than the DELL Street entrance/exit. Our modifications have eased some of the traffic congestion at Lomas. Additionally, we have been able to complete all carpool pick up within 12 minutes every day. If you come to pick up your child a little after the dismissal bell, you will find the flow of the pick up lane to be faster.
- I am thrilled to see all our bikers and walkers each morning and afternoon! Please help us be good role models for our students and walk your bikes while on campus. We ask our students to walk their bikes and scooters when they enter campus or until they have exited the campus and/or crossed over Glencrest/Lomas on the west side.
- All parents/visitors must sign in at the office in order to enter campus. The only exception is for our Kindergarten parents who have been assigned a badge. You may not enter at Dell and walk through campus to the office.
I would really like to thank our parent community for assisting us this past week. Your support and adherence to the drop off and pick up procedures has not gone unnoticed and we are grateful to each of you.
Back to School Night
Parents and guardians please join us on Thursday, September 5 beginning at 6:00 p.m. I will be making a few brief introductory statements along with our Foundation and PTA at 6:00 p.m. in the theater. After our presentation, the school will be open at 6:30 p.m. for parents to hear classroom presentations. This is a parent only event. Looking forward to seeing you all there!
Calling all volunteers! Please join us for our volunteer coffee on September 13th at 9:00 a.m. in the staff lounge. If you are interested in volunteering this is the meeting for you. We will discuss requirements for volunteering as well as what opportunities are available. We so appreciate any time you can give to help make Skyline amazing!
Please review the following letter regarding our attendance practice. Please click on this link to view the letter. https://www.sbsd.k12.ca.us/cms/lib/CA01001886/Centricity/Domain/364/2019_20 Principal Welcome Attendance Letter.pdf
Sept. 3rd - LABOR DAY (Holiday Observed, no school)
Sept. 5th - 6:00-7:30 p.m. Back to School Night (6:00 Principal Presentation/6:30 Classroom Presentations)
Sept. 3rd - 30th - MAP Testing for grades 1-6 (please see your teacher for specific times)
Sept. 3rd - 30th - Initial ELPAC Testing
Sept. 13th - Volunteer Coffee