A note from Mrs. Tsai . . .
I really love teaching music and working in the Solana Beach School District. This district understands how valuable an arts education, in addition to excellence in academics, can be for its students! I teach general music to students at Carmel Creek School and Skyline School. I also spend a lot of time during the school year volunteering for the San Diego American Orff-Schulwerk Association, a professional association for elementary music educators.
My Music Info:
• My favorite solo instrument to play is the piano. I started taking piano lessons when I was in Kindergarten. My favorite piano experience is when I won a piano concerto competition and got to perform as the soloist with the university chamber orchestra. That was fun!
• My favorite instrument to play in an ensemble is the violin. I started group violin lessons in 4th grade. I played in youth symphonies and school orchestras from 4th grade on through the university level. I also had fun playing violin with a performing fiddle group for two years, in the orchestra-pit for several musical theater productions, and in my friend’s alternative rock band in college. For a few years I taught an after-school violin class at Carmel Creek.
• I love to sing! I have no formal vocal training but I've had fun singing in many college/church choirs.
• I love percussion! During college I played steel drums in a performing steel-drum band.
• My most recent favorite instrument is the ukulele. I love singing while strumming on my ukulele!
Education and Training:
• Master Of Music -- Elementary Music Education
• Bachelor Of Music -- Piano Performance
• Orff Master Class (fully funded by a Gunild-Keetman Scholarship)
• Orff Shulwerk Level III (fully funded by a Gunild-Keetman Scholarship)
• Orff Schulwerk Level II (fully funded by a Staples Foundation Scholarship)
• Orff Schulwerk Level I (partially funded by a grad school music scholarship)
• GAMA/NAMM/NAfME Teaching Guitar Level I (fully funded by SBSD)
• World Music Drumming Level I (fully funded by SBSD/SDCOE's BTSA program)
• When I’m not teaching music I’m often in a ballet class, reading, or browsing the internet.
• Besides being a music teacher, I've worked in IT (running university student computing labs).
• My favorite thing about SoCal besides my music students? Cloudy summer days (June gloom)!