January 2020: SBSD Is Making Consistent Communication A Top Priority
From Superintendent Jodee Brentlinger
One of the best ways to build and maintain good relationships is open communication. In the Solana Beach School District (SBSD), we are choosing to make consistent engagement with all stakeholders—students, staff, parents, and the community—a top priority.
In my second year as your superintendent, I am looking at ways to give you a choice in how you receive information from us, as well as ways to streamline our methods of communication. My desire is that staff, families, and community members:
- Are informed about what SBSD and its schools are doing and why;
- Have a choice in how they receive information; and,
- Have opportunities to give feedback.
The best possible communication tool is face-to-face interaction, and I strive to build relationships as much as possible in this manner. My favorite part of the week is meeting students and families, as well as interacting with our certificated and classified staff members.
When that is not possible, and I need to communicate with a large group of people—whether families, staff, or community—I am grateful for our robust system of communication tools. With the direction and support of our Board of Education and Leadership Team, we are able to use the following tools to create and manage our websites, messaging, flyers, and more.
- School Messenger: This system currently supports our phone and email messages, allowing us to contact families in the entire District or by specific schools or grade levels. (For example, this is how we send phone messages, Spotlight on Students, and my Superintendent’s Message.)
- Mad Mimi: This tool is sign-up based and allows both families and community members to receive information. (For example, our principals use this tool for their weekly letters.)
- Peachjar: Peachjar announces district, school, and community activities and events through online flyers.
- Websites: SBSD and its schools maintain comprehensive websites, which we are continuing to refine and update.
- Social Media: This tool is growing in use and gives us another way to showcase our programs and provide information. SBSD is on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram!
- ThoughtExchange: SBSD is using this online tool on a limited basis to explore two-way discussions about important education topics.
We are currently considering ways to refine our communication methods to ensure they are comprehensive, user-friendly, professional, and consistent.
As parents and guardians, you can help by updating your contact information, including phone numbers and email addresses, with your child’s school. We want to be sure you receive important emergency and regular messages from your child’s school and our district.
Thank you for partnering with SBSD in your child’s education.