The Leader in Me is an approach to developing a culture of leadership in our school and is based on The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People® by Stephen Covey. Founded on internationally recognized and universal principles, The Leader in Me model emphasizes skills that students need in order to be successful in an ever changing society.
Developing a culture of leadership in our school is about helping students be the leaders of their own lives. The Leader in Me helps them identify their own unique talents and abilities and encourages them to make a positive difference in the world.
Solana Ranch School is committed to help all of our students become leaders.
For more information about the Leader in Me, please go to The Parent’s Place at www.TheLeaderinMe.org. You will find ideas to use at home that will reinforce your child’s learning and involve your family in fun and interactive ways.
Below is an explanation of each of the 7 Habits that Solana Ranch will continuously focus on as we create student leaders!
- Habit 1: Be Proactive - I am a responsible person. I take initiative. I choose my actions, attitudes and moods. I do not blame others for my wrong actions. I do the right thing without being asked, even when no one is looking.
- Habit 2: Begin with the End in Mind – I plan ahead and set goals. I do things that have meaning and make a difference. I am an important part of my classroom and contribute to my school's mission and vision.
- Habit 3: Put First Things First – I spend my time on things that are most important. This means I say no to things I know I should not do. I set priorities, make a schedule and achieve my goals. I am disciplined and organized.
- Habit 4: Think Win-Win - I balance courage forgetting what I want with consideration for what others want. I make deposits in others' Emotional Bank Accounts. When conflicts arise, I lookfor third alternatives. I look for ways to be a good citizen.
- Habit 5: Seek First to Understand, Then be Understood - I listen to other people's ideas and feelings. I try to see things from their viewpoints. I listen to others without interrupting. I am confident in voicing my ideas. I look people in the eyes when talking.
- Habit 6: Synergize - I value other people's strengths and learn from them. I work well in groups, even with people who are different than me. I seek out other people's ideas to solve problems because I know that by teaming with others we can create better solutions than can anyone of us alone. I am humble.
- Habit 7: Sharpen the Saw - I take care of my body by eating right, exercising, and getting sleep. I spend time with family and friends. I learn in lots of ways and lots of places, not just in school. I take time to find meaningful ways to help others.
"Leadership is communicating people's worth and potential so clearly that they are inspired to see it in themselves." ---Stephen R. Covey