Oct. 13, 2019
Dear Solana Vista Families,
Our 62nd Annual Halloween Carnival is next Sunday, Oct. 20, from 11:00 to 4:00. Thank you to our wonderful volunteers who are helping to make this year's carnival another success! Here are a few reminders:
- If you have signed up to work a shift for your class booth, please remember to check in at the information booth when you arrive at the carnival, at least 10 minutes prior to the start of your shift.
- If you are donating items, please bring donations of soda, water, and candy to EITHER school office by Thursday, October 17thduring school hours.
- Bring all baked food donations to the kitchen at SOLANA VISTA on Sundaymorning, October 20th before 10 am.
- If your plan on enjoying a pony ride, please note that closed toe shoes are required!
Halloween Carnival Countdown: Please see the three very important reminders below!
- T-shirts will be on sale before and after school all week!!
- We need YOU!! Carnival Prep Parties all week (Mon-Fri) in the SV Kiva from 8:30-11:00. Come an join the fun!
- Donations for the Tamalada “Tamale-making party” will be accepted during morning drop-off Wednesday. Please consider supporting the tamalada as our “Homemade Tamale Tent” is always the top fundraiser at the Carnival!
New This Year:
- Sponsor to put a friend, a coaching rival, or a spouse in the dunk tank! 15 minutes for $30 or 30 minutes for $50. Contact Melissa Herrington at email@example.com get one of the available slots.
2nd Annual SBSD STREAM Fest! Solana Beach Schools Foundation presents the 2nd annual SBSD STREAM Fest! Save the date: Saturday, November 2nd from 10 AM to 2 PM on the grounds of Solana Pacific Elementary. This year's theme is ReYOUse, promoting awareness around conservation and recycling efforts to help our planet. There will be engineering challenges, interactive stations, robotic exhibitions, food trucks...just to name a few! Check out the fliers and posters on campus and use the QR code to download the ReYOUse app for more information! STREAM Fest is a free event for all ages, so bring your families and friends! We hope to see you on November 2nd! You can visit https://2019sbsdstreamfest.glideapp.io to learn more and to get excited about this great event!
Great California Shake Out Drill: On Thursday, Oct 17th, at 9:30 a.m., our district will join millions of Californians in the Great California Shake Out Drill. The Great California Shake Out is held statewide on the third Thursday of October each year. Please see http://www.shakeout.org/california for valuable emergency preparedness resources.
Yearbooks Pre-Order Link is Ready! You may pre-order a yearbook for your child by going to: https://svyearbook.picaboo.com. This year’s theme is “Making a Difference…One Hello at a Time”.
Mark Your Calendars:
- 17: Great California Shake out
- 20: 62nd Halloween Carnival
- 25: Dad’s Pancake Breakfast
- 25: School Assembly
- 28 - Nov. 1: Red Ribbon Week – more details next week!
A little something to think about:
Seven Questions to Reflect on Kindness
How often do we say to our children, “Be Kind”! But do we talk to them enough about what Kindness looks like and what it sounds like? I ran across this article which prompts the reader to think about what Kindness really is. I plan to share this resource with staff as well as I believe that all of these behaviors should be recognized as “acts of kindness”. Explicitly teaching and role modeling some of these behaviors will help our children be comfortable using these acts of kindness in the “real world”. Check out the article at http://www.davidgeurin.com/2019/05/7-questions-to-reflect-on-kindness.html.
Principal, Solana Vista School