August 16, 2018
Dear Carmel Creek Families,
I am truly honored to welcome you to a new school year at Carmel Creek. I am confident that this school year will be filled with discovery, friendship building and academic success. Our enthusiastic parent PTO leaders are busy organizing year-long events. Volunteers are always needed and opportunities to contribute to our school are available on the PTO sign up genius.
You may access the volunteer sign up by clicking the link here.
Winston Churchill said, “You make a living by what you get, you make a life by what you give.” Thanks for considering giving of your time to support our children’s growth and the growth of our special school.
Our student enrollment numbers are changing daily. At this time, it is estimated that we will open with approximately 360 students. This is consistent with the average of the past several years of student enrollment. More information on new staff members and class configurations will be messaged as we get closer to the opening of school.
Class Assignments will be posted on the Parent Portal Demographics Screen after 5:30pm on Thursday, August 22rd. Be sure to complete the Student Data Confirmation process prior to August 22nd. The link can be accessed here. You will not be able to view your child’s teacher if that process has not been completed.
For new parents/guardians, once you have received the Account Access Information Letter with your student’s verification code (via US mail), click on “Create New Account” in the SBSD Parent Portal. If you need assistance, do not hesitate to contact our School Clerk, Margaret Kuski at (858) 794-4400. Margaret will be happy to assist you in this process.
For returning parents/guardians, enter your previously created username and password to login. You may click “Forgot Password?” to reset your password. Please use the Student Data Confirmation process to confirm the accuracy of your child’s information.
School Will Begin at 8:30am Playground supervision will start at 8:15am
School Will End at 2:38pm Playground supervision will end at 2:55pm
Research supports that recess time:
- Improves on task behavior
- Improves memory and focus
- Develops brain connections
- Fosters communication, turn taking, conflict resolution and negotiation skills
- Fosters leadership and the teaching and learning of outside games.
Through staff meetings, PTO meetings, safety meetings and school site council, staff and parents highly recommend that we offer a morning recess with a closed campus. There has been a significant amount of community input on this topic over the past two school years. We are grateful for the perspectives and insight of our parents, staff and teachers to ensure our students best interest always. It is anticipated that this transition will occur within the first month of school.
Your teacher will be messaging procedures for this process at the parent Back to School Night for grades 1-3 on September 4th at 5:00pm (parents only) and at the Kinder Back to School Night on Thursday August 21st 5:30-6:30pm (parents only). We want our children to feel safe and secure at the start of the school year and will work to ensure a successful and smooth transition for all.
Please remember that during drop off and arrival, dogs are not permitted in the office or on the playground. Dogs must remain outside of school gates and on a leash. These efforts will ensure the safety of our children. Thank you for this consideration.
To continue our enthusiasm to support active transportation to school, we encourage walking, riding a bike or riding a scooter. We have young students who are still developing confidence in their riding skills. There are also even younger siblings during the high traffic periods of morning drop and dismissal. To prevent accidents, please walk bikes, skateboards or scooters across the campus during these busiest times. We have two bike racks located on the east side (near the CDC gate entrance) and one rack on the west side (just outside the third-grade classrooms). Students may lock their bike or scooter. Don’t forget to always wear a helmet.
Many of our families walk to school. It is recommended by Rady Children’s Hospital that children under the age of 10 hold an adults hand when crossing the street. Remember to use cross walks at all times. Let’s work cooperatively to model good pedestrian practices. Our children look to us as their guide.
Students will participate in monthly safety drills. Students are always advised to follow their teacher’s directions in any emergency situation. Our site has an annually updated safety plan that is school board reviewed and also signed off by our San Diego Police Department liaison and the local Fire Department. We appreciate the ongoing support that we receive from our focus safety groups and community members.
Please respect all staff members wearing orange or yellow vests. Staff members are not San Diego Traffic Patrol. Our staff graciously give of their time to fulfill supervision responsibilities in an effort to support our students and to assist families in the morning and after school. Our staff deeply care about the physical and social emotional safety of each student. Let’s work in partnership to help our kids have a great day, feeling safe and empowered. It surely does take a village.
School Calendar and Email Notification
Please refer to the Carmel Creek School website for updates on school events and important dates. Don’t forget to sign up for the email notification system at on our school website under “quick links” in order to receive weekly school site and District communication.
If you are interested in viewing periodic weekly highlights via social media, our school has accounts for Facebook (Carmel Creek School), Twitter (#ccsbsd, #ccstream) and Instagram (@ccprincipal).
Your child is provided with a free public-school education. Therefore, all student supplies are provided by the District. We understand that parents often want to supplement these materials through class donations and we are always most grateful for each and every donation. If parents choose to provide optional items for the classroom please consider checking your grade level supply wish lists. Wish lists are located on the Carmel Creek website, under “For Students”.
* Please remember that Carmel Creek does not permit the use of rolling backpacks. This is a result of past student as well as staff injuries and limited building storage space.
- It is important to note that personal toys, novelty items and other non-educational items are not allowed on campus. It is preferred that student personal devices are to be left at home, however if devices do come to school your child will be asked to keep the device in backpacks and turned off during school hours. We understand that some children need devices for medical or safety concerns. Otherwise, leaving devices at home will prevent theft or damage.
- Don’t forget to update student emergency contact and health records. Please keep the office informed, throughout the school year, if your child’s health status changes.
- Please do not park your car in the drive through drop off zones. Those zones are located in 3 different places: in the front of the school building, on Carmel Creek Road (west side) and in the Carmel Creek Park Lot (east side). All locations are designated for loading and unloading only.
- Please do not park your car in the courtesy front office 15 minutes parking zones during drop off and dismissal periods. Those zones are not for drop off or dismissal convenience. They are allocated for parents who have student emergencies, sick children and/or for parents needing to conduct office business.
- Please follow general traffic safety procedures for stopping at stop signs. When students are crossing ALL cars should be stopped. No U-turns in the middle of McGuire, Carmel Creek or Carmel Center Roads. You will be ticketed by San Diego Police if caught violating traffic procedures.
- A visual reference of our traffic map can be located on our website under “Safety” you may access the link here.
Wellness Guidelines and School Attendance:
All Solana Beach district schools are consistent with their Wellness guidelines. Food treats for birthday parties are NOT allowed.
If you wish to commemorate your child’s birthday at school, some ideas include: sharing a favorite book or game, giving stickers or giving pencils. Please check with your child’s teacher for specific preferences or individual class practices.
Research shows that a student's health affects their attendance and ability to learn. Consistent attendance is critical for your child’s academic success. If your child has difficulty getting to school we are always available to help support the process. For your reference, our attendance and tardy policies can be located on the district website.
If your child is going to be absent or tardy due to an appointment or illness, please contact the attendance line at (858) 794-4451.
If you would like to know more about our Food and Nutrition program or need to sign up for the lunch program, go directly to the My School Bucks quick link located on our school website page.
Thursday, August 22nd – Class placements and student-teacher assignments released via the SBSD parent portal after 5:30pm
Thursday, August 22nd- Kindergarten Back to School Night (adults only) at 5:30pm.
Friday, August 23rd – Mini Open House 9:15 to 10am (a time for all Carmel Creek students to meet their teachers and visit their classroom.)
Tuesday, August 27th - First Day of School and Kindergarten Orientation
Wednesday, August 28th - PTO sponsored Kindergarten Family, Kleenex and Coffee @ 8:30am. All kindergarten parents are welcome for a very casual meet and greet in the stage area.
Monday, September 2nd - Labor Day (School Closed)
Wednesday, September 4th - Back to School Night for Grades 1-3 (Adults only) from 5 to 6pm.
On behalf of our entire staff, we look forward to a wonderful 2019-2020 school year.