Gold Medal Reading Program"Readers Are Leaders"All students are encouraged to record all books read for pleasure.Solana Ranch aims to reach our goal of every student reaching level 8 or 100% Gold Medal Readers!Gold Medal Reading is a recreational reading program that helps establish good reading habits and encourages students to develop a love for reading. This program runs from October 1, 2018 to May 17, 2019. Please do not enter books you have read prior to October 1st.
For Kindergarten through Second Grade Students:
In the past our K-2nd graders have entered books. In an effort to make sure our youngest readers are getting credit for ALL the reading they are doing, this year they will record pages, too! Our younger students may still record picture books without page numbers as they work toward their goal of 300 pages and the system will automatically give them credit for 36 pages for each book read.
For Kinder through Sixth Grade Students:
*Every 300 pages counts as a level*Kindergarten through sixth grade students progress a level for every 300 pages read.Incentives:
· Level 4: (60 books/1200 pages) reach level 4 and get your picture on our "Readers are Leaders" Tree and the Hawk News Network· Level 8: (120 books/2400 pages) Students earn their GOLD MEDAL! – This is the level that we want all students at Solana Ranch to reach!
· Level 16: (240 books/4800 pages) “Leading Reader” picture posted in Media Research Lab with personal book recommendation for all students to see!
· Level 24: (360 books/7200 pages) Lunch with the Principal!
· Level 32: (480 books/9600 pages) Invitation to special Q & A with author/storyteller at the end of the year Assembly
· Level 42: “Reader in Me” T-Shirt Presented at School Wide Assembly
Gold Medal Reading
Instructions for Students/Parents
1. Log-in to the website at: www.goldmedalreading.org
User name is the students first and last name no space. (firstlast)
Password is the four digit code used for district wiki.
*First, click on the My Books tab.
This will display a list of all books you have entered during the current term as well as goals you have reached.
To enter a new book you have finished reading; click the “Enter A New Book” button.
Fill in the form with name of book, author, page count, date finished then click Submit. (Note: author first and last name are optional)
1. Until the book is accepted by the teacher, you can correct any mistakes you make on this entry by using the change selected book or delete selected book tabs located at the bottom of the Books Read list. Once the book has been accepted by your teacher, you cannot change it.
2. If a page count of 0 is submitted for a book, 36 pages will be applied to your level goals. (Note: This is similar to how books were entered for K-2 students in the past)
3. Repeat these steps for each book read.
Ki Kindergarten through sixth graders will count pages..Modifying Book Entries
Click on My Books if you are not already viewing it.
Click on the book you wish to modify in the “Books I've Read” list.
2. Click on the Change Selected Book button.
**Note: Book entries may be modified only before a teacher has reviewed them, or if a teacher has rejected the entry. Books that have been accepted by the teacher will not be editable. If no book is selected, the “Change Selected Book” button will be disabled.
3. Update the information on the form. Book, Title, and Date Finished are required fields, others are optional.
4. When you are finished with your updates, click the Update button.
The Books I've Read list will be updated to reflect your modifications. Also, the status of the book entry will be displayed as a question mark icon to reflect it is pending teacher review.
Deleting Book Entries
Click on “My Books” if you are not already viewing it.
Click on the book you wish to delete in the Books I've Read list.
2. Click on the Delete Selected Book button.
Note: Book entries may be deleted only before a teacher has reviewed them, or if a teacher has rejected the entry. Books that have been accepted by the teacher will not be editable. If no book is selected, the Delete Selected Book button will be disabled.
3. A confirmation message will be displayed to verify your decision.
IMPORTANT: Deleting books cannot be undone. If you do not wish to delete the book then click the Cancel button. Once the book has been deleted you cannot bring it back. You can, however, enter the book again by following the directions for Entering Books.
4. If you are sure you wish to delete the book, click the OK button.
The Books I've Read list will be updated to reflect your modifications.
Teacher Acceptance/Rejection of Books
Your teacher will review the books you have submitted once a week and will approve or reject them. Once approved, you will move to the next Level.
Books will be rejected if page count appears to be incorrect or if the teacher feels the student could not have read the book in the time indicated. Parents will get an email from telling them if a book has been rejected and asking them to correct the entry. If a parent has a question about a rejected book, they can contact their teacher by email for
Prizes and Levels
Levels are achieved when you read 300 pages.
Goals you have achieved will be listed on the "My Books" tab in the "Goals I've Reached" list.
*Available prizes and your status for each are listed on the My Prizes tab. The Prize Status list will display available prizes along with required reading for each. Also shown is how much more reading you must do in order to earn each prize.Incentive Levels
· Level 4: (1200 pages) reach level 4 and get your picture on Hawk News Network
· Level 8: (2400 pages) Students earn their GOLD MEDAL! – This is the level that we want all students at Solana Ranch to reach!
· Level 16: (4800 pages) “Leading Reader” picture posted in Media Research Lab with personal book recommendation for all students to see!
· Level 24: (7200 pages) Lunch with the Principal!
· Level 32: (9600 pages) Invitation to special Q & A with author/storyteller at the end of the year Assembly
· Level 42: “Reader in Me” T-Shirt