At Solana Ranch Elementary, we strive to maintain a positive environment where students and staff enjoy school and treat each other with mutual respect and P.R.I.D.E.
- Positive Attitude
- Respect for All
- Do the Right Thing
- Effort Towards Learning
HAWK PRIDE - Be Great! Be a Leader!
Students can know if they are showing HAWK P.R.I.D.E by applying the five-way test:
- Is what I’m saying and doing done with a Positive attitude?
- Is what I’m saying and doing showing Respect for all?
- Is what I’m saying and doing showing Integrity?
- Is what I’m saying and doing an example of Doing the right thing?
- Is what I’m saying or doing showing Effort towards learning?
Our school discipline program is positive and emphasizes good behavior (e.g. good choices, character and leadership attributes). School and classroom expectations are made very clear to students at the beginning of the school year with Principal led behavior expectation assemblies, Teacher discussions, and throughout the year through a variety of embedded ways.
Classroom Expectations -
- Actively Listen, Make good eye contact, and participate.
- Cooperate with your teacher and classmates.
- Be kind and encourage others.
Respect for All
- Accept and respect everyone. Seek first to understand, then to be understood.
- Use positive words and body language.
- Take responsibility for your actions
- Be honest.
Do the Right Thing
- Stop, think, and make good choices.
- Keep hands, feet, and objects to yourself.
Effort Towards Learning
- Pay attention and follow all directions the first time.
- Be prepared and on time. Put first things first.
- Give your best effort.
At Solana Ranch our mission is to inspire greatness in all of our students and we want each and every one of our students to become leaders. Through being specific regarding behavior and having high expectations for all students, we believe our students will rise to meet our expectations. In conjunction with Hawk P.R.I.D.E we use The Leader in Me, based on the 7 Habits of Highly Effective People as the foundation for building strong leaders of character:
- Habit 1 — Be Proactive - You're in Charge - I am a responsible person. I take initiative. I choose my actions, attitudes, and moods. I do not blame others for my wrong actions. I do the right thing without being asked, even when no one is looking.
- Habit 2 — Begin with the End in Mind - Have a Plan - I plan ahead and set goals. I do things that have meaning and make a difference. I am an important part of my classroom and contribute to my school’s mission and vision. I look for ways to be a good citizen.
- Habit 3 — Put First Things First - Work First, Then Play - I spend my time on things that are most important. This means I say no to things I know I should not do. I set priorities, make a schedule, and follow my plan. I am disciplined and organized.
- Habit 4 — Think Win-Win - Everyone Can Win - I balance courage for getting what I want with consideration for what others want. I make deposits in others’ Emotional Bank Accounts. When conflicts arise, I look for third alternatives.
- Habit 5 — Seek First to Understand, Then to Be Understood - Listen Before You Talk - I listen to other people’s ideas and feelings. I try to see things from their viewpoints. I listen to others without interrupting. I am confident in voicing my ideas. I look people in the eyes when talking.
- Habit 6 — Synergize - Together Is Better - I value other people’s strengths and learn from them. I get along well with others, even people who are different than me. I work well in groups. I seek out other people’s ideas to solve problems because I know that by teaming with others we can create better solutions than anyone of us can alone. I am humble.
- Habit 7 — Sharpen The Saw - Balance Feels Best - I take care of my body by eating right, exercising and getting sleep. I spend time with family and friends. I learn in lots of ways and lots of places, not just at school. I find meaningful ways to help others.
At the beginning of the year, we have students, teachers and parents sign the attached pledge. By collectively working together, we will help our students be prepared for college, career, and life! Click here for Student, Parent, Teacher Pledge
“Make each day your masterpiece.” John Wooden
See the Behavior Expectations link for additional information. Please take time to read and discuss the school and classroom expectations with your child. We appreciate your cooperation and support and we look forward to a wonderful year of learning and growing together in knowledge and acceptance of responsibility.
Thank you for your support!